With a new addition, this rustic pavilion has become the new entrance for this sprawling collection of transplanted 19th century log homes, barns and a church, anchored by the 1930’s mansion home of Dr. Burritt. Exposing and duplicating the simple wood trusses allowed a continuous interior space. Visitors, including bus-loads of school children, enter through the display area to learn about what they will see on the grounds. Generous front and back porches accommodate groups as they form for tours.
The porches’ arches recall the entry transoms of the mansion and announce the entries. After the visitors have toured the campus, they re-enter the building and pass through the gift shop side. A central island counter and attached workroom house the staff and serve as both ticket and gift sales.
The up and down lighting suspended just below the truss bottom cords just illuminates the exposed ducts and structure above (painted a mid range color), while focusing attention on the displays below.
The roof is standing seam metal, the walls are Hardiplank, and the foundation is stuccoed concrete block. A vending area, accessible to the grounds is hidden by screen walls and a projection of the main roof. Inside, the donated maple parquet floor material (found in a board member’s warehouse) required special installation because of failing adhesive between its strips. Slat-wall is used through-out the gift shop.